Trader Tom's fun stuff with berries
Test Your berry IQ
1. On average, there are about ______ tiny seeds on every strawberry.
A) 25 B) 100 C) 200 D) 500
2. Strawberries are the highest in which vitamin?
A) Vitamin A B) Vitamin B6 C) Vitamin C
3. What makes blackberry plants related to apples, roses, and peaches?
A) The taste B) The Flower C) The Leaf
4. A blackberry is a berry?
A) True B) False
3: B They are all rubus plants and typically have 5-7 white/pink petals around a cluster of yellow stamens.
4: B Technically a blackberry is not a berry, it is an aggregate fruit – with lots of small druplets joined together in the calyx to make one fruit.
Here are some fun websites with a berry focus:
http://www.knotts.com/public/park/tour/index.cfm real fun in the original boysenberry theme park in California.
http://www.altontowers.com/theme-park/magic-young-fun/berry-bish-bash/ more fun and berry games at a theme park – this time in the UK
http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/2010/01/berry-fun-felt-fairy-berry-houses.html make berry houses
BerryTrivia Quiz:(answers below)
1. How do botanists classify eggplant?
2. What are the two most cultivated fruit trees in the world?
3. What berry is the result of a cross between a blackberry & raspberry,
developed in 1881 in Santa Cruz, California?
4: What am I?
I originated in Southeast Asia and India.
I have been cultivated for 5000 years
I am a member of the cashew family
5. How did 'bounceberries' get their name, and what is their more
6. What citrus fruit is a cross between a mandarin and a grapefruit?
7. What is distance is the world record for watermelon seed spitting?
8. This tree and its fruit are native to the Peruvian Andes, but are widely cultivated as a commercial crop in New Zealand. When it did not sell well under its original name, New Zealanders invented its current name in 1966.
1: Eggplants are actually fruits, and classified botanically as berries!
2: Apple, Peach
5: Fresh cranberries can bounce. Bounceberry is another name for
7: The world record for watermelon seed spitting is held by Lee Wheelis
of the USA, who launched a seed a distance of 68 feet 9 1/8 inches in
1989. That’s over 20 metres – longer than a cricket wicket. That’s
8: The Tree Tomato was renamed Tamarillo.
Berry Word Search
Find these berry words: